Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Ever heard of a Sacroiliac joint??

Ever heard of it? Neither had I, but I sure know what it is now.

A couple years ago almost exactly, I was right at the end of my pregnancy with Avery. I started getting pain in my lower back. But, it isn't in my spine, it is over to the left of my spine. It is always in the exact same spot. The pain is sharp. But, it is not constant (fortunately). When I first started getting the pain it would last for a while and then I might not get it again for a couple months.

This has gone on off and on since I had Avery. Then about 5 months ago I woke up in the morning with horrible pain there. I finally decided to go see a doctor, but being a Sunday, our family doctor was closed. So, I went to an Urgent Care. The doctor told me it was my muscles and prescribed Ibruprofen. The Ibruprofen does help, but I just did not think it was my muscles. When it hurts, I can push on the spot and it doesn't feel worse. It is a deeper pain.

Then about 2 weeks ago, I woke up in the middle of the night with horrible pain again. It hurt so much more than ever before. I was up for about 3 hours with it that night. I decided I had better go get a second opinion.

So, today I went to see our family doctor, who I LOVE! He is a great doctor. So, I told him all about it and all my symptoms. He came to the conclusion that it is my Sacroiliac joint. It is a joint in your back between your pelvis and spine basically. It is a joint that doesn't move.



A lot of women have issues with this joint at the end of pregnancy, which makes sense with when mine started. I read about it online and sure enough, my syptoms match for sure.

There isn't a lot you can do for it. He told me to keep taking the Ibruprofen religiously for about 10 days and that should help a lot.

I am just relieved to hear that it is not something serious. I am such a worrier and always think about the worst-case scenario. So, of course, I thought I must have something really serious wrong with me. But, thank goodness, it isn't that bad.

I am thankful for a good doctor to put my mind at ease!

No comments: