Thursday, July 9, 2009

4th of July!!


We had a really great day on the 4th of July! It was filled with fun, food, friends, and family!! All must-haves for a great day, huh?

We started out the day by going to the parade. Thank you, thank you, thank you to Dave's brother and parents for saving spots early. It is always a mad house on the parade route, but lucky for us, we can show up right before it starts and sit down thanks to a great family! :)






The parade was the same as always...long and hot. But, there were some times when the sun went behind the clouds and that made the temperature absolutely perfect. The kids really enjoyed collecting candy, that is the whole reason they are there! :)



I joked that next year we are going to stay home and I am going to throw candy to them in the yard and call it good!! :) But, that just wouldn't be the same, would it?? :)

After the parade we hurried home to get ready for the BBQ we were hosting. I had a good group of friends all growing up and through high school. We are still in touch and try to get together as often as possible, but that ends up being once a year or so. But, it was great because several of my friends and their families were in town for the 4th. My good friend, Wendy from Seattle, Suzie from SLC, Kent and Kami from Colorado, and Danielle and Jennifer from good ol' IF! :) We missed a couple others, but hopefully they can make it next year! Dave and I set up shade canopies and the swimming pool and were all ready for a fun afternoon. And, it really was fun.






So great to catch up with everyone. Also very fun to see the new additions to the group: the spouses and kids. It made for a large, loud group. But, so so so fun.

Shortly after everyone left our house it was time to get ready for BBQ #2. We were having a smaller party with our good friends, Rachel and Michael and their 3 boys. I have known Rachel for about 10 years. She is one of the friends that I have that I suspect I was friends with in heaven. :) We just click. Even though we haven't done much the last couple years, we just pick up where we left off. She knows more about me than probably anyone but Dave. We worked together in a bank drive thru when we first met. It was just her and I in a back room all day, every day. We were forced into friendship...but I am so thankful we were!! ;)

Anyway, we made some really yummy shish kabobs on the grill. She made some excellent homemade jalapeno poppers!! So good.







Then we headed to a park where Dave and Michael lit fireworks and we also watched the big fireworks.







It was just a great evening. Really fun to be with good friends. The kids played really well together which was a big plus. The kids were super exhausted when they got home. They were asleep in about 2 minutes! :)

The next morning we went to our new little niece, Braylee's blessing. Afterwards was another BBQ. (Just can't get enough good BBQ food!) :) It was really great to visit with Dave's family. His parents were in town and it is always good to spend time with them. I always appreciate the help with the kids, especially Dave's mom taking Avery when I am having "one of those moments" with her! Thank you, Shirley!!! :) Wish you were always here!

So, that was our weekend. I told Dave as we headed home from fireworks that night that it was just a perfect day. So good to be with old friends. I was lucky enough to spend the day with some of the best friends I have ever or will ever have! Thanks everyone for a fantastic day!

2 comments:

Johnson Family said...

Looks like you had a wonderful 4th of July. It is always nice being around good friends, family, and of course food. I love the picture of all of you! Way to cute. Love your hair too!

We need to start our playdates again. I am really missing them!

Melissa Bitton said...

I'm so jealous you got to visit with Wendy and Suzie and Danielle. :( BOO on living far away. I should have hitched a ride with Wendy! :)