Saturday, June 6, 2009

Happy Birthday, Mom!!



I wanted to wish my mom a very happy birthday today!! I won't disclose her age...but let me just say, she is a young grandma! :)



I also wanted to tell some of my favorite memories of my mom.

1. When I was younger, we enjoyed evenings together with just the girls, when my brothers and dad were gone on a camp out or something. One night we were watching a movie and the house was dark. I had to use the bathroom. While I was gone, mom found a clown mask that one of my brothers had made in school. Not scary at all, but in the dark...SCARY!



So, when I came out of the bathroom she jumped out and yelled "BOO" and scared me to death!! She had a good long laugh! A while later, she went to use the bathroom. That's right...pay back's are a you-know-what!! So, I scared her with the clown mask. We had a really good laugh and then promptly threw the mask away!!

2. Doing crafts. We liked to do crafts together. Especially when I was younger and was less busy with kids! She is a really good at painting figurines. We would go buy a ceramic figurine of some kind and paint them. I specifically remember painting really cute Halloween figurines one year. Of course, while letting the paint dry we would usually have a treat of some kind. We both LOVE big cinnamon rolls warmed in the microwave and a cold glass of milk. I definitely think of her when I eat a cinnamon roll.



3. When I was a junior, my parents planned a big family trip to California. We did all of the fun things there is to do in Southern California, Sea World, Disney Land, Universal Studios. So, before we left, my mom had a big talk about how we didn't want any family bickering on this trip. So, she said if anyone got cranky, we had to do the Mork and Mindy (an OLD show on TV) "shake" and say Na-New-Na-New like they did on the show.



Totally weird, and I don't know WHY she came up with it. But, amazingly, it worked. When someone would start to get mad, she would say, "Na-New-Na-New" and we had to do the "shake." It was so dumb, and embarrassed us, as we were all teenagers, that it took our minds off whatever was bugging us. Crazy, but good...and a funny memory.

4. I don't know how old I was, but my mom one time did this really funny and weird dance when no one but me was watching. Her arms were flapping like wings and she was moving her legs. I laughed so hard! My brothers and dad wanted to know what was so funny. So, I told her to repeat it. She acted like she had NO idea what I was talking about! She denied it up and down. Then, when no one else was looking, she would do it again...and then promptly deny it. It was so funny! This when on for quite a while, off and on, she would just break out in her silly dance for my eyes only! :)

5. I have been lucky enough to have my mom by my side at each of the births of my children. She was there through the craziness of Easton's birth, with the emergency C-section. And then at Paisley and Avery's c-sections.


My mom showing me Avery right after she was born.

This is really gross, but after they give me the epidural, I usually get really nauseous. When they were getting prepared for Paisley's C-section, I suddenly had to throw up. I said that, but there were no nurses around. I was laying on my back, unable to move. Dave took off to find something for me to throw up in. But, my sweet sweet mom, came to my bedside and cupped her hands and it is there that I threw up. So gross, but SOOO sweet. Something only a mother would do. It honestly brings tears to my eyes, because I can understand doing that for my child. I HAVE done that for my child. She later said the same. She wouldn't have done it for anyone else. (Who would?) I love her for that! :)

It was really neat to have her at the births. She would always try to watch the C-section. With Avery, she just pulled the curtain down a bit and watched the whole thing! :)



Very brave of her.

My mom is so funny. She has been such a wonderful mother to me in my life. She is such an example to me. I admittedly am just like her. More so each day! :) But, I think of that as a good thing. She is a great woman who loves her family very much. She is a wonderful grandmother. She has dropped everything to be there for me when I have needed her as a mother. She has attended many doctors appointments with me for moral support with my children. When Paisley has been put in the hospital for her asthma, she has taken off work and spent the whole time with me.



I am truly grateful for her in my life. I love you, mom!!

2 comments:

Bowler Family said...

Jamie, your mom sounds so amazing!! It's kind-of funny! When you start to realize you are more and more like your mom! Hope she had a great Day!

Melissa Bitton said...

Happy Birthday to Mama Johnson! What a sweet tribute. I always remember going to your house and enjoying your mom. She was so welcoming and fun to be around!