Saturday, May 9, 2009

A big project...

Can you tell that we are super excited about our new garden? It seems that it is all I have blogged about lately. It is definitely taking up a lot of our time! Dave took Thursday and Friday off at work. After 10 weeks of training his class with LONG hours, it was great to spend a couple of days together.

Thursday we went out shopping for something to put around our garden to separate it from the yard. We thought about cinder blocks, stacked 2 blocks high. But, we didn't know how to get them to our house, and began to realize just how much work it would be. So, we went and got some 4x4 treated pieces of wood and stacked them 3 pieces high. Here was the beginning stages:




Dave staggered them and screwed them together to make them sturdy.
Avery was the only one home for a while while Easton and Paisley were at school. She sure wanted to help us the whole time. It was very cute.





While we were working the girls got to have a picnic outside. It was a little chilly still, but they thought that was a lot of fun!



It turned out looking so nice. It is just exactly what we wanted/needed.



It should last us a long time. I am really proud of Dave's handy work. I think he was proud of himself, too!

On Friday we went to a nursery and bought fertilizer for our garden and some plants. We bought 3 four-packs of tomatoes, so 12 in all! I think that will be too many, we might not plant all of them. But, we wanted to have a few different varieties. We bought Roma, Early Girl, and Super Fantastics. We also bought a 4 pack of different kinds of peppers and a 4 pack of green peppers. I hope we are able to keep them long enough to plant them! :)



After we finished building the surround, Dave mowed the lawn for the first time this year.



He is very particular about our lawn. Last year, I mowed it all year. I would rather that than him have to take up most of our Saturday doing it. But, he did it Friday. It took a long time because the grass was getting so long. Then he has to edge and weed eat. Then he has to get our the blower and blow all the extra blades of grass that are on the sidewalk and driveway out into the street. So, this becomes a very long process. But when he was finished it really looked nice. When he finally came in to shower for the first time that day it was 7 p.m.! He worked so hard and got so much accomplished! Thank you, honey!

(Just so there isn't confusion...I did help him. And, I cleaned the house that day. So, I wasn't just being lazy the whole time!) :)

It seems like I am always able to end a post with a funny Avery story...

Dave and I took a break and went and got us each a fountain drink. Dave got a big Mountain Dew. We had them sitting on the kitchen table. While we were in the backyard working, Avery went inside. I had Winnie the Pooh playing on the DVD player for her, so I figured she was watching that. When she had been inside for a while I figured I had better go check on her. This is what I found...



Sitting in her chair with Dave's big soda in her lap, chugging away! What is better then watching Pooh with a Dew???? Answer me that people!

2 comments:

Andrew and Steph said...

You guys are doing awesome with the garden! You're going to be eating salsa for all 3 meals with all those tomatoes. How fun. That's hilarious about Avery. I'm surprised she sat there that long, but I guess it was a big Dew :)

Melissa Bitton said...

Holy Dew! Did she sleep that night?