Monday, August 25, 2008

Applesauce


I have found a new hobby that I really enjoy. Canning! I started canning last year when my good friend, Brook, offered to teach me. I caught the canning bug! Last fall I did peaches, pears, applesauce, tomatos, and a ton of apple pie filling. (We gave away the pie filling at Christmas to friends and neighbors.) I really loved doing it and seeing the results in the pantry afterwards. After I had organized everything in the pantry when I was done, I would walk past and stop to open the door just to "admire" my hard work! (Nerdy, huh?) :)

So, I have really been looking forward to the fall this year to start again. We have eaten almost all of what I made last year. Today my sister-in-law, Stephanie, and I made applesauce. She has apple trees in her backyard and she was nice enough to share with me. My brother, her husband, Andrew, also came for a while to help. He was a big help and it was fun to have him there! Thanks Andrew. Steph and I made some with red hots in it which made pink applesauce. It was a lot of fun. In about 3 1/2 hours we made 31 pints of applesauce! Not bad!

Thank you, Steph, for the apples! Our next project: apple pie filling. (Just not as much as last year!!) :)

No comments: