Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Decorating the tree




A few years ago my parents gave us their artificial tree. We put it up for a year or two and then I got sick of it. It was kind of a pain to put up and take down. Then I decided that I only wanted to get real trees from now on. After a couple years of that, I decided I wanted to go back to fake. I was tired of having to water it, only to have it dry up and then clean up the needles. Also, by Christmas it is usually so dry that I have to take it down the next day. Ideally I would like to keep it up until New Years. So, this year I was going to buy us a nice pre-lit tree. But, as money always is at this time of year, it is tight. So, I wasn't looking forward to having to spend a lot on a tree. I was telling this dilemma to my sister-in-law, Josie. She said that every year her family cuts their own trees. She offered to cut us one when they go. I just bought the permit, $10. Cheap! Just what I wanted!

They brought us a really cute tree. It is kind of sparse, but that is a given when you cut your own. But, I really liked our "Charlie Brown tree." So, Sunday night we began to decorate. I let the kids put on the ornaments. Somehow, the more decorations we got on it, the more Charlie Brown it became. By the time the kids were done, I couldn't bare to look at it anymore!! So, Dave went and dished them up some ice cream as a distraction and I tried to "fix" the tree. I basically took off all the decorations and attempted to space them out and make it look nice. But, a lot of my decorations are just too heavy for this little tree. So, we didn't end up using many of our decorations.







Bottom line, our little tree will not win any awards this year! :) But, I am sooo thankful for Dan and Josie and her family for getting this tree for us. Now that I look at the tree, it is cute. It is kind of fun not to have a perfectly shaped tree. It has personality! And, the kids had lots of fun decorating it. That is all that matters! They think it is the prettiest tree. It will be a fun memory for me!

Thank you again, Dan and Josie! That was sooo nice of you guys to offer to do that for us! You guys are so giving and kind and have done a lot for us this year. We appreciate it so much!

2 comments:

brandy said...

Love IT!!! My parents had a Christmas Tree farm when I was little so we always had a real tree. Last Year and this will be doing fake. As soon as we get our own house it back to real.

Johnson Family said...

I love your cute little tree. I bet that it smells great too. Next Wednesday sounds great for lunch. I don't care where we go. If you wanted we could do it here at my house and all the kids could play. Whatever works for me! You can email me at:

snucums33@hotmail.com