
I just wanted to wish my dad a happy birthday! It is always been fun for me to have a birthday so close to his. It is fun to celebrate together.
I have always felt a special closeness with my dad. He is such a great guy and I enjoy being with him so much. To me he is the smartest, greatest man. To me he can do no wrong. I know I have put him on a pedestal in my mind, but I hope that when Avery and Paisley are older, they hold Dave on the same pedestal. It is a daddy-daughter relationship, and it is truly special.
I just wanted to write some of my favorite things about my dad.
1. He is really funny. He doesn't necessarily come across as a "clown" but he has a really fun sense of humor. I love it when he laughs.
2. He is really smart. I really admire him in his schooling. He and my mom got married right out of high school. So, he had to immediately support a family and wasn't able to go to college right away. He earned his degree slowly, but surely. He had to work and go to school and be a father and husband and hold church callings. He finally graduated when I was a sophmore or junior in high school. He is now a semester away from his master's degree. He has earned that while being the bishop in his ward and working full time. Education is very important to him and he has been very committed to it, despite the not so optimal circumstances that he has had to receive it. And, I must add that through college he has not received more than a couple B's, with the rest A's. He has worked hard and I am so proud of him!
3. He is very competetive. He tries to hide this about himself sometimes. It is really funny for me to play games with him. He likes to play while he is winning. But, if he is losing, he just becomes really quiet. It is funny to watch. He probably won't admit it, but he HATES to lose. He never says anything, but I can just tell from his body language. I love it! It makes me laugh! It is fun to beat him! :)
4. He loves his family. He really loves my mother. I can see that with the way that he looks at her. I have really enjoyed having them as examples to me as I grew up. I know that he loves my brothers and I very much. We can feel that.

5. He loves politics. He is a very conservative man. He will tell anyone that. He has very strong political views. I admire him for his interest. I don't follow the news or politics, so I really enjoy talking to him to get the info. I really look to him for information.
6. He loves his grandchildren. I love to see him interact with my kids. He is such a sweet and gentle grandpa. They love him very much. He and my mom are very good about showing support for the things they do. They attend most of the kids's games and school events, even when it has meant that he take time off work. I am thankful for that.
7. He is very giving of his time. Like I said, he was a bishop for over 5 years. So, he knows the meaning of service. But, within our family, he is always there for us. He has helped us through every move we've had, my brother's and I's moves. When we were building our house, he and my mom helped us with laying our tile. We honestly couldn't have done it without him. He helped us many, many hours. He has done many more things over the years for us, and we know he is always there when we need him.
8. He loves to cook. We call him Betty Crocker. He is a really good cook, and he isn't afraid to experiment. He loves to can, jams and things like that. If there is any baking going on at my parents' house, it is him. One night recently we invited him over to play games, and he said that he couldn't because he had some bread rising. ;) I love that about him.
9. He has a strong testimony. I have always looked up to him for his faith in the gosple and his example. He has faithfully served in many callings. I love to hear him speak in church and hear his testimony. It strengthens mine.
10. I love him for being my dad. I love that I am his only "little girl." (Even though I always wanted a sister!) I love that we are friends. I love him for being such an attentive father to me growing up. We had our differences often when I was a teenager. We had some knock down, drag out arguments about dating and things. But, as a mother now, I can look back and realize it was all for my good. He always wanted the best for me. I will have the same rules for my children. I love that everytime I went somewhere he would say, "Remember who you are, and act accordingly." I love that when we would have an argument, many times he would leave me heart-felt letters in the morning. I still have all of them.

I really love you, dad. Thank you for everything you have taught me and done for me. You are the best and I hope you have a great birthday!
1 comment:
Your father is the best, I am grateful he was the one to baptize me and confirm me as well, happy b-day to you both. I am forever in your family's debt.
Post a Comment