Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Pinewood Derby...for Father or Son??

Ha Ha! It is pretty exciting in my house right now. The boys are busily getting their masterpiece (a.k.a. pinewood derby car) ready for the big night next week. Easton is excited. They got on line and found a bunch of pictures of cars and decided to make something like this...



He likes the "Lightning McQueen" shape. So, they took that picture over to our friend, Michael, and together they were able to cut something out to look like this:



They are so proud. They used an extra pinewood derby kit that we have had to add to the sides so that the tires are inset. (Yes, we checked the rules. We are within the car width guidelines.)

So tonight they have been sanding and adding some wood filler here and there.



Then, we went to the hobby store to buy some stuff to help the paint go on smoother, and also an after-paint product to make it glossy. Oh yeah, and spray paint. All these things we "had" to have, according to Dave, because Michael told him how much better it would make it look. So, $16.93 later, we left with our goods from the hobby store. (So much for free entertainment!) :)

I laugh at how much fun Dave is having. Don't get me wrong, Easton is really enjoying it, also. But, Dave is just loving this. I totally think that the pinewood derby is about as much for the dads as it is the scouts! Anyone agree? But, I enjoy seeing Easton and Dave working together. It is going to be fun having a little cub scout in the house! :) (Technically he doesn't turn 8 for a couple weeks, but they let him come in early for the derby.)

I will definately update again on their progress.

3 comments:

Red Head Family said...

wow-Dave's getting into this!!

Johnson Family said...

I love how much Dads get into pine wood durby. I think that its so funny. So now that I know, that you know how to play Settlers of Catan and ticket to ride Europe Edition ITS ON!!! :) We will for sure have to plan a game night soon! Sorry to hear about your sick kids. UGH no fun but glad they are over it. Thank heavens for these blogs so we can keep up with each other.

Bowler Family said...

That is funny!! Dave looks really excited! I bet Easton has been having a lot of Fun with his dad helping him! I can't wait for my boys to be in scouts!