Monday, April 12, 2010

POTTY TRAINED!!

It is official. Our family is a diaper-free family. Finally!! Avery is totally potty trained and has been for a week now. Hallelujah!!!

I had tried training her once before, but it just didn't click with her and so I gave it up for a couple months.

Last Monday I decided to try again. It didn't go well during the day. We spent A LOT of time in the bathroom, but she never did end up going on the potty. But, we did go through SEVERAL pairs of panties that day. That evening, Dave and I taught the kids to play UNO. Right before we started, I took Avery in to try again. After several minutes she decided she didn't have to go. She immediately went in the kitchen and peed her pants on a stool!! That was it! I was so frustrated! I was debating to myself if I should give up and put the diapers back on or not. But, she is 3 now and I knew I couldn't give up.

Once we got the mess all cleaned up, we played UNO. During the game she said that she had peed in her panties again! I looked and she was barely wet. So, we continued on. Then she said she had peed again. I looked and still not much pee. (Okay, I know I should have changed her then, but I was a bit sick of it and lazy at the time AND in the middle of UNO.) So a few minutes later she said, "I have to go potty!!" So, I rushed her to the potty and she went!!! You should have seen the party that went on at that point! :) I think during UNO she had been trying to hold it and would accidentally go a little. But, after she finally did go on the potty that was it. She was trained. She went a couple more times on the potty that evening.

She has done so well since then. She has only had one accident at home, and it was really minor. Then, she and I were at Paisley's soccer practice and she said she had to go. There were no bathrooms around. So, I took her behind a big pine tree and helped her squat down. She did not want to do that. So we went back to the practice and about a minute later she peed her pants. I felt bad for her. She was sad that she was all wet. But, I told her it was okay because there was no potty for her to use. That has been her only real accident. ****UPDATE**** - I wrote this post on Friday...unfortunately she had a couple accidents over the weekend. But, she is still doing well ****

I was telling my friend that I am a little sad she is trained. Of course I don't miss changing the diapers. But, it is sad to me that she is so "grown up" now. I can't believe we are a diaper-free family. I really have mixed feelings about that. :( But, hooray for Avery. What a big girl! She is so proud every time she goes. So, I will be happy for her! :)

2 comments: