Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Her heart is well...and other news

We took Avery in to the pediatric cardiologist today. About a month ago our pediatrician heard a heart murmur and wanted to have it checked further. She had to have an EKG. That was normal and her blood pressure was normal. The doctor listened to her heart for quite a while. Then she told us that one of her arteries has a noise, they call it a click. She said inside the arteries they are divided into 3. One of Avery's arteries is only divided into 2. (Please forgive my explanation...I am still pretty clueless about this.) Anyway, the bad things that could happen are that it could narrow and start to leak. She doesn't hear any leaking or anything right now.

I guess 1 in 100 kids are born with this defect. It is the most common birth defect. Most of the time they lead totally normal lives. We just have to keep an eye on it. There are things they can do if it starts to change or not "grow with her." The doctor wants us to come see her once a year just to make sure it is still okay.

So, that is a relief. Nothing to worry about, really. I wasn't too worried, I mean she is my healthiest child. She has energy that doesn't stop. But, as a mother, I couldn't get rid of all the worry. I am glad it is okay.

One fun thing happened today. Paisley started reading! She has been there for a while now. She can sound out words really well. When we spell a simple word or write it, she can figure out what it is. Last night I took the kids to the library. I checked out a Dick and Jane book. That is what Easton first started reading in. They are simple and repetitive. So, today she picked that book up and took off!! She read like 70 pages in it and then I finally talked her into taking a break. She was so so proud of herself. It was really cute.



Easton has gotten to be a good little reader, also. The problem is that he does not enjoy it at all. He still throws a fit just about every time it is time to read. So, I am really excited that Paisley has this love and hunger for reading. It is very different than the way Easton was, so I am looking forward to it.

One last item...yesterday, Easton had a spring singing program at school. They sang some patriotic songs. He did a great job and I really enjoyed the program. None of my pictures turned out that well...but here are the best...




Poor Easton, he was supposed to have his first soccer game last night. But, unfortunately because of the rain/snow/cold, it was canceled. He was so bummed! Tonight was supposed to be a practice, but again, it will probably be canceled! I don't think they should start soccer in Idaho until June!!!


****Just an update: Paisley is doing so good! She basically read from 2:00 until 8:00 this afternoon. Not the WHOLE time, she did play a bit and eat dinner. But, she read the better part of those hours. I can't believe this little smarty pants!! She is reading so well...why didn't I get a book for her sooner??? ****

6 comments:

Ryan and Heather said...

I'm so glad everything is okay with Avery. Good news!

Andrew and Steph said...

I'm glad to hear everythings ok with Avers! I was thinking about you guys today and I'm glad you posted that on your blog so I could get the update. That's awesome about Paisley! Tell her good job for me. I think Easton's going to be a little jock. . . hence all the push ups :)

Bowler Family said...

Little Avery is so adorable! I'm glad everything is ok with her. That is so exciting Paisley is reading and that she loves it. Poor Easton and this weather. I agree with the soccer and the Idaho weather!!

Johnson Family said...

I bet that is such a neat thing to see them start to read. I can't wait for that!! I am so glad that every thing is okay with Avery. Now you get to stop worrying, after an entire month of waiting. So all us girls need to get together soon. Lets figure out a time and place.

brandy said...

oh that is so great!! Are the visit in Utah. We have to go there once a year until Ryker like 18 years old. Shopping trip!!! We have them in Spring /Summer time and going to take the kids to Lagoon and the Zoo ect, ect, (We get a free hotel room!!!)

Angie T. said...

I am so glad to hear that Avery is ok! Your kids are so cute. I love the Easter outfits.