
This cartoon doesn't have a lot to do with the post except coughing, I just thought it was funny!
The other night Easton woke up with the tell-tale signs of the dreaded croup. Many of you know all too well, the seal-like barking cough and the inability to breathe. Yep, croup. Fun stuff!
Easton got croup several times when he was a toddler. One night Dave went hometeaching and his partner was talking about croup. Dave asked what that was and the guy explained the symptoms and what to do for it. So, what do you know, about 2 nights later Easton woke up with his first ever croup episode. I am very sure that his talk with his hometeaching partner was inspired. Because of that we knew what it was and some things to do. But, it was always very scary for me and we ended up taking him to the emergency room several times in the middle of the night for it.
The other night was the first time he'd had it in years. But, we were prepared. It was like Dave and I were a well oiled machine. Both of us still half asleep, he grabbed a blanket, I grabbed Easton's coat and he took him out on the back porch into the cold air. As they were outside I turned on the bath with hot water and let them know when it was steamy. We let him sit it the steam for a while. We then gave him a breathing treatment, always on hand thanks to Paisley's asthma, and then put him back to bed with basically clear airways.
As I watched him with his breathing treatment, I thought how thankful I was for experience. I am not a new mom anymore. I have experienced these things that come along with parenthood and I know what to do. I don't panic every time. I just do what I know works. Don't get me wrong. I am definitely no expert and I really have a lot to learn. But, I am thankful for the mother experiences that I have had that help me with what challenges come my way.
No wonder our mothers and grandmothers know everything...experience!!
3 comments:
I am glad to hear that he is better. Knock on wood, we haven't had to deal with croup yet. :)
I sorry, Trenten has been sick lately too. I just wanted to tell you(i didn't have time @ church.) That you should be so proud of your daughter. She did a great job today.(which i am sure you am) I was amazed, she is so little and had the biggest part and did such a good job. I am sure you neck was killing her afterwords.
It is nice to get some experience with these things. When Meg had croup last year I just about had a stroke when I heard that cough the first time. But when Zach got it this year we knew exactly what it was. I'm glad Easton is feeling better.
Post a Comment