Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I voted!


This is the 3rd presidential election that I have been old enough to vote in. I am really sad to say that today is the first time that I have voted for our president. I just really didn't feel that big of a need to vote. I felt that need this time around. It could be that I am older, I have children, and I really worry about the future of America. It also has a lot to do with a broadcast on the Sounds of Sunday by Glen Rawson this last Sunday.

You can read his message here. He talked about the Boston Tea Party and how that eventually led up to the Revolutionary War and our country's independence and freedom. I really enjoyed that part of the message. But, the part that really stuck with me was the last couple paragraphs.

He said, " Boston went to war for a voice in government, the right to vote. Now my friends, the right to vote is a fundamental expression of man's God-given agency.

Sadly, in the last presidential election, less than 50% of Americans voted. Or in other words, they surrendered the governing of their lives to someone else – which is exactly what Lucifer wanted in the first place."


That really struck me. We live in America where so many people have died for the right to vote. If I do not vote, not only am I not taking advantage of what so many people have done for me, but I am turning over my right to choose. Lucifer's plan did not involve freedom. His plan did not involve free agency. That is why his plan was not chosen. We have free agency, and as Americans we have the right to vote. I will not let that agency go to waste again.

As I waited in the long line to vote and then to turn in my ballot, I was proud. I really felt a sense of pride. I voted. I took advantage of this great right that we have. I am not turning it over to anyone else, I am putting in my say.

Forgive me for my moment on my soap box. I really felt strongly about that today.

Another small thing happened there that I wanted to share. Paisley and Avery were with me at the school when I voted. By the time I was waiting to hand in my ballot, Avery had had it! She was crying and there was nothing I could do to console her. Paisley, on the other hand, had been given a "job". There was a super nice lady working at the table. Paisley when to get an "I voted" sticker and the lady asked her if she wanted the job of ripping the stickers off the roll so that people could take them. I think she saw what a bad time I was having with Avery and thought she would help by keeping Paisley busy. I really appreciated that and Paisley thought it was fun. The lady behind the table kept telling Paisley and the people in line what a good job Paisley was doing. Anyway, the lady behind me in line, also seeing my struggle with Avery, said, "Can I just tell you that I think it is good that you brought your children with you to vote? Now, your daughter (Paisley) will have a memory with the stickers and she will remember this time. I am all about memories." I had never given that a thought. I was just trying to get through the time until I could leave. She was right. It was neat that Paisley got to be involved in the voting process, if even just a small job. And, she will remember. She felt important. I was, at that moment, also happy that I had brought my children so that they could see their mother use her right to vote in America.

1 comment:

Ryan and Heather said...

Great post! We waited for two hours to vote, and I was really kind of impressed with how many people made that wait with little kids! We just had Megyn and she was actually really good. But, like you I was glad that I made my voice heard.