I can't believe I did it, but I did. I signed my baby girl up for preschool. Easton and Paisley both did 3 and 4 year old preschools. I think it is fun for them to get out of the house a couple days a week and play with kids their own age. I have always had a hard time dropping them off on their first day of preschool. But, Avery was especially hard! She is still my baby, even as big as she has gotten. I was kind of dreading the day, but I knew she would have so much fun.
She was SUPER excited to go to school finally. She has a new Dora the Explorer backpack, which she loves.
Dave was able to come with me to drop her off. I am not sure he has ever gone with me on the first day of preschool, so that was nice.
She was totally fine with the whole situation. She went right downstairs and put her backpack away. Then she sat down next to a couple of other little girls and started playing with pretend make-up and nail polish. Just her style!
We gave her hugs and kisses and told her good bye. She said good bye and then didn't even look back at us. I stood at the top of the stairs waiting to wave one last time, but she never looked. I was actually glad about that. I was happy she felt safe and secure there.
I was conscious of holding in my tears. I felt okay. As we were driving away, I was still fighting back the tears, but I was winning. UNTIL, Dave decides to say, "That is the last first day of 3-year old preschool we will ever do." Then, I. LOST. IT. I mean, 30 seconds of SOBBING. Between me being on the verge of tears and Dave's comments, I sobbed.
And, what did my sweet, understanding, compassionate husband do while I had my mini break down??? He LAUGHED!! He just laughed and kept telling me sorry, that he didn't mean to make me cry.
After a minute I was able to pull it together and by the time we got home I was okay. It just was a reality check for me and not one that I am necessarily ready for. Dave worked from home that day and we did really enjoy the quiet house. But, it seemed a bit TOO quiet.
Today was her second day. She loves school so much. When we dropped her off today, she got clear to the door then turned around and yelled, "I love you, mom!" and ran back to the car blowing kisses the whole way! That sure made my day!!
She was so excited to tell us all that she had done today. She loves telling what she did at school when I ask that question to all the kids over dinner.
I am happy for her. I can't hold her back. I need to let her experience things that I allowed Easton and Paisley to experience. But, it is so hard to let my baby go. So hard.
2 comments:
Oh, sweet. I'm sure it's hard to let go, but good for you for holding back the tears until she left! That's why she adjusted so well, because you're letting her be a big kid! It'll all be worth it when she's a strong, independent woman!
Ha ha, don't you just love how our husbands inherited the sensitivity genes. NOT. I dread the day Bray goes to pre-school, that will be so hard, Avery sure looked cute!
Post a Comment