Monday, January 17, 2011

A Non-Believer

I am a little sad today. My son is officially a Santa non-believer. Yup. He will be 9 in a couple weeks, so it is to be expected, I guess. I know he has been thinking about it for quite a while now. He has asked me about it a few times, but always right in front of the girls and so I would lie and keep defending Santa. He would ask, "Is there really magic?" And, I would say, "No, magic is just a trick. There isn't really magic." (I know, mean mom. I just hate lying.) So, he would say, "Then how do the reindeer fly and how does Santa get everywhere in one night if there is no magic?"

He caught me. He is a smart little boy.

This year for Christmas Santa brought Easton and Paisley DSi XLs. So, last night when I was tucking him into bed the conversation went like this...

Easton: "How much did you have to pay for our DSi XLs?"

Me: (Pause) "I didn't pay for them."

Easton: "Yes you did."

Me: "No, Santa gave them to you."

Easton: "You are Santa."

I sat down on his bed and wondered if I could bring myself to tell him the truth. I had thought about it quite a bit lately, if he asked me when he wasn't with the girls if I would answer him truthfully. I had thought about the many years of him being a firm believer. I thought of all the gifts Santa had brought him that he loved. I thought about the cute cute notes he would leave for Santa on Christmas Eve, full of questions for Santa to answer. I just didn't want to tell him the truth.

But, I did last night. I just told him that he was right, dad and I are Santa. I wasn't sure how he would react. But, his face lit up and he smiled so big. He said, "I didn't think you would really tell me. Not until I was like 20." :)

The light went on in his head when I admitted it to him. He then was asking me all kinds of questions about how it worked, logistically. Like, who answered the Santa letters, who ate the cookies, how did we leave the crumbs behind on the plate, did we buy him the ride-on tractor that Santa left a couple years ago. We talked for a long time. He had lots of questions.

I did make him promise not to tell any other kids or his little sisters. I tried to make him understand how important that was and how cool it is to share a secret with dad and I.

A little chapter is closed on his childhood. I wasn't ready for it. I can't believe he is getting older so fast. Everyone said that happens, but I didn't believe that 9 years could fly so fast.

I believe now.

5 comments:

The Hammond Family Blog said...

Jerimiah flat out told McKinley a couple of Christmas's ago. He also said, "Now that you know, you can be in on it too!!" We let her get up with us to do the Santa routine! She loves it!!! It also helps her to enjoy getting a little older.

Ryan and Heather said...

I'm glad he took it so well! Rece has never questioned it, so I don't know if he suspects or not. Your post made me a little sad. It does fly by so fast.

Andrew and Steph said...

Oh that is so sad! He's getting so old. I can't believe it. At least you have the girls to bring the fun Santa spirit still.

Valerie said...

Jamie, Riley realized the truth this year as well. I didn't want to tell her, but then one night she had a total melt-down and was bawling, "I just don't know if Santa is real or if it is you and dad!" It was like it was causing her soo much stress. I finally had the talk with her and it was like she was so relieved to know the truth! Funny, but sad. I hope she keeps the little secret to herself for years to come so the other can still believe!

Erin Ellsworth said...

Hey, now he can help you wrap presents next year! jk